Beginner Surfing in 5 lessons by Quiksilver & Roxy Surf School
Many customers who call us to make one of our surf courses ask us how they are. Doubts arise about the age to start surfing and if they will be able to withstand the rhythm of the classes, then who can surf? Surfing does not distinguish between religions, sexes, ages, colors … everyone who sits can surf and is a sport that from the first day you will have unique and different sensations to which you have been able to provide any other sport. You do not have to be super fit, but logically if you do swimming you will have more facilities that you get well at first, since in the beginning the most important is the paddling.
What basic materials do I need to start surfing? A soft learning table, a neoprene suit, good energy and a desire to have fun is all that is needed. Surf schools play a key role in teaching.
- Heating; It is imperative to learn to surf safely and avoid injury.
- Brief explanation of short board and long board. When you start what you need is a board that is larger than you and has volume, which is what will make you float. The large boards have less “rail”, less curve, while the short ones have more curve, they allow more closed and radical turns. Do not skip steps in your initiation. A long board will make you catch more waves, gain technique and style. If you start with a short board lameness many vices, which are then difficult to correct.
- What is the best table for beginners and why? There are soft boards, which for safety, buoyancy, are the most advisable. A general rule. Put your table on your feet and if you touch your toes with the tip of the table, that will be a good measure to learn. Whatever you shrug, you’re risking. On the contrary, everything you over, you will gain in ease.
- The parts of the surfboard. The surfboard has several parts, the deck (bottom), nose, tail, rails and fins. The keels and tip are the most dangerous parts of the board. Always try to rowing the board to flush with water and thus offer little resistance to water and slip faster.
- Learn to get up in the sand. Surfing does not require strength, but technique. All movements within the water must be very smooth. The sand is a good place to practice the standing up, the paddling …. Place yourself in the center of the table, put your hands at the height of your chest, gain the maximum height with the bow of your body to the table and once you reach your maximum height “shoots”. Place your back leg at the level of the keels, near the knee and the front near the chest. Win height to the board, stay flexed. Look forward and put your hands toward the end of the table, to correct faults and maintain a better balance and “be water my friend”.
- Can you surf on any beach? Not all beaches are good to start. Avoid currents, learn to surf near the shore. Foams are very good to learn. Soft and long waves are the best to start.
- How does the sea have to be in my first time? Small waves, without much wind, that break without violence and that allow margin to be dragged gently and give time to stand.
- Rowing to the sea How is it done? When do I stop? Use the currents to enter, on the sides of the breakers you will find them and that water will help you to move forward. Once at the height of the peak (where they begin to break the waves), exit the stream and enter into the breakwater. Remember the water from the currents will move you sideways (near the shore) or offshore. The water of the breakers will move you to the shore. To start surfing on the breakers, because if you have any problems, that water will help you to leave with ease. If you want to climb the surf, you will have to know how to do the duck, the spoon, duck dive …, that is, dive the wave underneath. Your board is your lifeguard, never forget this in the water.
- Back to the shore: paddle and sit on the surfboard. Use the breakers to return to the shore. Once ski lifts, wait sitting on your board. This is a good time to stretch, you will have greater visibility of the sea and the waves that come to you and is the best way to rest on a board. Place your weight in the center of the table. Help yourself with the legs to hook the board, relax your weight, do not balance and if you take the beak off the table out of the water, it will give you greater balance. A person lying on a surfboard will always have less visibility than a sitting.
- Class reminder on sand (abstract). Practice in the sand, in the living room of your house, on the street, but think that the sea, does not usually give second chances. Feel safe before entering for the first time. Surf together, choose a good beach to start and do not skip steps in your learning. The sand gives you sensations, observe the sea, consult yourself, listen to the premises of each beach and respect.
- Where do I try it for the first time? Look for a soft wave area with long waves and use the foams to get you started. Once you feel comfortable surfing the foams, you can enter and look for your first ramps.
- How do I prepare to fall? To know to fall is very important in all the sports and in the surfing it is even more. Try to always fall in front of the board or laterally. Remember that you have the invention attached and the table will always come to you. Do not try to float, sink, stay calm and always when surfacing, remember: One hand explores and the other protects. Never leave the table between you and the wave. Do not leave your body hard, fall naturally and get used to it from the beginning to not touch the bottom. When you surf in rock or reef you will thank him.
- How many times do I have to try before I go any further? Do several repetitions and once you feel safe, you can enter. Recommendation- Look for your line, avoid crowds of surfers, respect the rules of surfing and locals. You start surfing, but for many people surfing is their life and there is a whole culture behind.
- Pass the break of the waves to swim. Be smart, use the currents. Remember currents to enter, surf breaks. This will avoid you to spend energy and concentrate it for your surfing and also you will be respecting one of the most important rules in the world of surfing.
- Learning to pass under the wave – If you fall, you do not find the current, the sea is mixed … you will have no choice but to do the spoon, the duck, duck dive … This technique does not need strength, but technique. Remake strongly to the wave, let it imanate towards her and just before it hits you, gain height to the table (as if you were to stand), sink the table a little in the water and throw all your weight towards tip. You will feel one of the most beautiful moments of surfing, you will feel the energy of the waves passing over you. Use the knee or foot (for deeper spoons) to retrieve the table. Once you come to the surface, row hard to leave the magnet that makes the wave and prepare again … more waves come.
- Catch the wave – One of the most critical moments in initiation. Knowing how to read the right wave, the timing, will only give you the experience, but a good choice of wave will facilitate the whole process of the start up. Whatever you say, you have to go, yes or no. Do not hesitate, do not hesitate, read the wave, do not lose sight of the wave, roam with strength and determination, let it drag you, do not be in a hurry to get up, let the wave work too and once you feel it drag you, do not Think about it, shoot it and always on the descent load your weight on the front leg. It is already, you are feeling, you are standing, you are surfing, your world begins to change … and remember when you start to stand on a board, the surfing does not end, but begins.
If you want to know more information about our surf courses (prices, schedules …) click on this link
PHOTOS & TEXTS- QUIKSILVER & ROXY SURF CANTABRA SCHOOL
SURF SCHOOL Nº 1 IN SPAIN, ROOTS SINCE 1991
+ INFO 609482823 www.escuelacantabradesurf.com